Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pointlessly Gendered Roundup 1

Okay, due to insistent complaining by a few of my readers, I am finally writing a new post. With december finals and the holiday madness, writing fell by the wayside. And with classes starting again on tuesday, this may be the last post for a while again... but we'll see.

I've been meaning to start my own "pointlessly gendered" series, a concept I've seen on many other soci blogs. I've collected a few pictures since deciding to include this in my blog, so here they are.

These first two I found in a christian bookstore. Not-so-surprisingly, the place was actually teeming with sexism. But here are a couple of the most obvious/humorous.


Despite all of the violence and godly wrath, apparently the bible is too girly for some men. Not anymore, thanks to the "everyman's bible"... a version not only written by men, but meant exclusively for men. 



Christian jewelry for teens... separated by gender, just in case God needs help clarifying the sex of his followers. I guess to get boys to wear jewelry, you need to give them a direct association with God... or use a z instead of an s.


This last picture I found at a gun shop. Yet again, not that surprising.


There are so many things wrong with this picture, it actually hurts my head. The colors, the designs, the sizes... 

This picture also represents a concept known as "women vs people", wherein being male is neutral and the norm, and being female is the alternative. Notice the names: "whoopass" is the one for men, and it's the normal one, whereas "ms. whoopass" is the alternative, for women. This is actually quite ironic, since pepper spray is generally geared toward women... so why isn't the pink one "whoopass" and the army one "mr. whoopass"? 

Just shows the millions of tiny ways this culture is still very androcentric. 

1 comment:

  1. A possible explanation:

    Someone in the weapons industry got paid millions of dollars (or at least some respectably large sum of money) to figure out that making pink parts for guns increases the chance of certain types of women buying firearms, thus tapping a normally untapped market.

    Your average female shooter slings a normal gun like any dude. But there are some that you'd never expect to be shooting that get drawn in by the bright colors and stay for the thrill of shooting. Given the gun store context of the mace, I'd expect that this was an off shoot of that marketing research.

    The religious stuff just baffles me though.

    ReplyDelete